Subscribe to my blog feed!

Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Persecution

God revealed some really good things to Jodi and I about persecution today. I started out by realizing that I don't know what it means to be counted worthy to suffer for Jesus (Acts 5:14, 2 Thes. 1:5). I don't have much desire to suffer, unless it will bring God more glory, but I don't quite understand what it means to be counted worthy of that.

Anyway, then we realized that Jesus says "If they persecuted me, they will persecute you also (John 15:20)". So, why are we not seeing much persecution in America. Jesus was surely persecuted, so we should be seeing some persecution some, right? So why is it that people hate and persecute Christians? I think the next verse gives some explanation: "They will do all this to you because of me, for they have rejected the One who sent me. (John 15:21)" We will be hated and persecuted because we know the only God and we bow and give our allegience only to Him. Those who have rejected Christ and have given themselves to serve something or someone else (because everyone worships something) cannot stand the fact that we hold nothing dear except the God who they have rejected. Several biblical examples came to our minds pretty quickly. The pharisees hated and persecuted Jesus and the early Christians because they had rejected Christ and Jesus and the Christians would not bow to their idols of legalism and self-righteousness. Shadrach, Meshac and Abednego were persecuted and meant to be killed because they chose to only bow to worship the LORD God, and refused to bow down to the god Nebuchadnezzar had set up.

So, the question came back to us. Why are we not seeing suffering for the name of Christ in America? I can say without a doubt that there are idols being worshiped in America. Materialism, sex, media entertainment, and gaining reputation and recognition are some that come to mind really quickly. Each of these are upheld in our culture (and not only ours) as things to be sought after at all costs, and they are taking away from the worship of the One True God. So, are we not being persecuted because we're not taking a stand against these idols? Is it not clear to those around us that we will never bow to these and our only allegience is to Jesus Christ? I won't claim that that's the only reason, but I think it's a big reason. I don't really think it's clear to people to know me and see me that I'm rejecting each of those things and I'm willing to be tortured and killed rather than bow down to them. Am I that serious about God alone being worshiped?

As we were thinking through these questions, we were also wondering what forms persecution might take on here in America, where it's not illegal to be a Christian and it is illegal to persecute Christians the way they are in some other areas of the world. One thing God showed us is that one of our greatest fears as post-modern Christians is being misunderstood. We often see the post-modern church labeling certain groups as legalistic or haters because they are standing firmly against behaviors or products and refusing to budge. I can't at the moment come up with any good examples. If anyone's actually reading this blog and has an example, please post a comment. But the point that was driven home to Jodi and I was this: Are we willing to be totally misunderstood, labeled as a hater, legalistic, unloving, etc, for Jesus... or are we too concerned about being misunderstood, and about saving our reputation?

It is so incredibly humbling to look at Jesus on the cross and the time leading up to his crucifiction. His physical suffering was great, but maybe just as great was the extent to which He was misunderstood. Here he was, beaten to a pulp, spit on, put in the lowest state of human existance, pouring out His life because He loves His creation, and can't stand to be separated from them. And yet He's accused of blaspheming against God, and He's absolutely hated by the very ones He's showing the purest love to. In an instant, He could have acted in His perfectly righteous anger, and made it clear to everyone exactly Who He was, what He was doing, the agony they were putting Him through, and put them in His place. But instead, He chose humility. He chose to show His love by allowing the greatest misunderstanding of all time, allowing Himself to be fully rejected and so to fully show what love is. I can't comprehend this. I know that in light of Jesus I cannot hold onto my desires to be understood, accepted by men, and have my love reciprocated.

I must choose to worship God alone, and point others to the only God. Oh God, have mercy and grace on me, my brothers and sisters, and this world that hates you. We will bow down to no other god but You, God. Show us where our worship is impure.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think you pretty much covered things, my love. I trust this whole topic's meaning and purpose will become clearer to us as we continue to walk through this life with Jesus...not an easy lesson but certainly a worthwhile one, especially in the eternal sense.